Jan 15, 2020
Cacio e Pepe
- 1 (5 ounce) box Cappello’s Spaghetti
- 1 ½ teaspoons whole black peppercorns, crushed with a mortar and pestle
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 ounces Pecorino Romano cheese, finely grated
- 1 fresh egg yolk (optional)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Drain and reserve 1 cup of the pasta water. Rinse spaghetti with lukewarm water and set aside.
2. In a small skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the crushed peppercorns and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat, then transfer to a large bowl.
3. Transfer the pasta to the bowl with the peppercorn oil, and add 2 tablespoons of the pasta water (reserve the remaining cooking water). Toss the pasta until coated. Let cool slightly, 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add the cheese to the pasta, tossing well and adding a more of the reserved pasta water, a few tablespoons at a time, until the pasta is coated in a thick creamy sauce.
5. Serve hot topped with a raw egg yolk. Stir into pasta table side, so hot pasta cooks the egg.
Yield: 2 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes