Apr 24, 2018
Chicken Pot Pie
- 8 oz (2 cups) cubed cooked chicken
- ½ c chopped onion
- 4 tbs coconut oil
- 1 10 oz bag mixed veggies – I used peas, carrots, green beans and corn
- 2/3 cup diced sweet potato
- ½ c cassava flour (or use rice flour, almond flour, or your favorite flour!)
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- ½ tsp parsley
- ½ tsp thyme
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cups coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, heat 2 tbs coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ½ cup chopped onion. Cook and stir until tender.
- Add in the rest of the coconut oil to the large skillet, as well as your flour and seasonings; stirring until blended. Gradually stir in broth and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken, vegetable medley and sweet potato mixture; remove from heat. *If mixture is too thick, dilute with additional broth/coconut milk.
- Line a 9 inch pie pan with Cappello's Lasagna Sheets -rinse them in water so they become a bit soggy, they are more pliable and stick together better; trim even with rims. Add chicken mixture.
- Place remaining sheets over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in tops.
- Pop your yummy pie in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, then brush the top of the pie with light tasting olive oil mixed with water 1:1 parts to keep the pie crust soft, then put back in oven for another 15 minutes.
- To get a nice golden color on top, move your pie to the top rack and bake for another 5-10 minutes. Keep a close eye because these babies can burn real quick and mess up the entire flavor of your pot pie.
- Serves approx. 4
- Original recipe by Chelsea from @paleo.pals