Apr 19, 2018
Gluten & Grain Free Lasagna with Cashew Cheese
- 1 package Cappello’s Gluten-Free Almond Flour Lasagna Sheets
- 1 lb ground meat or meat substitute of your choice (bison and ground beef work well)
- 25.5 oz can organic tomato sauce
- 8 oz goat mozzarella cheese
- Cashew cheese (store-bought or homemade – see recipe below)
- Heaps of vegetables of your choice (spinach, kale, broccoli, zucchini, etc.)
- 1-2 cloves minced garlic
- Cashew cheese:
- 1 cup whole cashew
- 3 cups filtered water for soaking the cashew
- ¼ cup filtered water for making the cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Cook ground meat in a skillet until brown. Don’t worry about draining grease!
- Pour the entire can of tomato sauce into the skillet with meat, turn heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Using a food processor, grate the goat mozzarella cheese. Set the grated cheese aside.
- If making cashew cheese from scratch, see recipe below. Set the cashew cheese aside.
- Wash and slice the vegetables then set aside.
- Drizzle avocado oil around a rectangular baking dish. Use a paper towel to spread the oil to ensure the entire surface area is covered.
- Layer ingredients in the baking dish in this order: Lasagna sheets, Cashew cheese (disperse with spreading utensil), Meat sauce, Vegetables, Goat mozzarella cheese
- Continue to create layers until all ingredients are used up.
- Sprinkle the minced garlic on top of the last layer.
- Bake for 35-45 min or until the edges are crispy and golden brown.
- Cashew Cheese: Place cashews in bowl with 3 cups of filtered water. Let soak for 2-3 hours.
- After soaking, place the cashews in a colander and rinse thoroughly with cold water.
- Add cashews and all other ingredients into a food processor.
- Blend ingredients for 3-4 minutes or until the texture is similar to ricotta cheese.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- Bake time: 45 minutes
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cashew cheese prep time: 2-3 hours
- Original recipe by Wendy from Bends and Bites