Apr 19, 2018
Gluten & Grain Free Lasagna with Cashew Cheese
The ingredients in this lasagna are simple, delicious and delightfully healthy. In less than one hour, you’ll have a gourmet-level meal that your friends and family are sure to love (mine sure do)!
BAKE TIME: 45 minutes
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
1 package Cappello’s Gluten-Free Almond Flour Lasagna Sheets
1 lb ground meat or meat substitute of your choice (bison and ground beef work well)
25.5 oz can organic tomato sauce
8 oz goat mozzarella cheese
Cashew cheese (store-bought or homemade – see recipe below)
Heaps of vegetables of your choice (spinach, kale, broccoli, zucchini, etc.)
1-2 cloves minced garlic
1. Preheat oven to 375*F.
2. Cook ground meat in a skillet until brown. Don’t worry about draining grease!
3. Pour the entire can of tomato sauce into the skillet with meat, turn heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Using a food processor, grate the goat mozzarella cheese. Set the grated cheese aside.
5. If making cashew cheese from scratch, see recipe below. Set the cashew cheese aside.
6. Wash and slice the vegetables then set aside.
7. Drizzle avocado oil around a rectangular baking dish. Use a paper towel to spread the oil to ensure the entire surface area is covered.
8. Layer ingredients in the baking dish in this order:
- Lasagna sheets
- Cashew cheese (disperse with spreading utensil)
- Meat sauce
- Goat mozzarella cheese
9. Continue to create layers until all ingredients are used up.
10. Sprinkle the minced garlic on top of the last layer.
11. Bake for 35-45 min or until the edges are crispy and golden brown.
PREP TIME: 2-3 hours
1 cup whole cashew
3 cups filtered water for soaking the cashew
¼ cup filtered water for making the cheese
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Place cashews in bowl with 3 cups of filtered water. Let soak for 2-3 hours.
2. After soaking, place the cashews in a colander and rinse thoroughly with cold water.
3. Add cashews and all other ingredients into a food processor.
4. Blend ingredients for 3-4 minutes or until the texture is similar to ricotta cheese.
5. Store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Original recipe by Wendy from Bends and Bites