Pasta Carbonara is the Italian version of fast food and what makes it so special is that it is healthy! I chose Cappello’s gluten and grain free fettuccini to make it even healthier and I am just so excited to share this recipe, because it is simple and delicious. It is a complete meal in a bowl and offers everything you need to be entirely satisfied. You get your protein, veggies, fat, and carbs all in one place and if you feel like you may want more, add a green salad to the mix.
This recipe has been a go to meal on busy nights when everyone needs to be in a different place. The only ingredient you are cooking is the bacon and that takes maybe 10 minutes. That's it dinner in 10 minutes! I'm going to guess that no one else has told you how to make something this healthy, nutrient dense using whole foods, in only 10 minutes. Try it tonight!
5 eggs (Pasture raised)
1/4 c. heavy cream
1 c. grated parmesan cheese
1 (16 oz) package uncured organic bacon
1 1/2 c. frozen peas
3 Tbs. fresh chopped basil
2 Tbs. reserved bacon grease
2 packages Cappello’s fettuccini
1. Fill a large pot with water for pasta, let it come to a rolling boil.
2. Cut bacon into 1/2 inch slices, I use scissors to make this step easy. In a medium skillet, saute bacon until crisp, set aside
4. In a large serving bowl, crack 5 eggs, add grating cheese and heavy cream, bacon grease and whisk.
5. Microwave peas for 30 seconds and set aside.
6. Throw pasta in boiling water for 90 seconds
7. Strain pasta completely, and quickly pour into egg mixture. Begin tossing, this will cook the eggs.
8. Add bacon and peas and continue to toss
9. Add fresh basil and top with extra parmesan cheese.
Original recipe by Amy of Well & Pretty