Aug 17, 2016
Veggie Lasagna \\ Sweet Laurel
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 can crushed fire roasted tomatoes, I like Muir Glen
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 zucchini, sliced into 1 inch rounds
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 cup basil, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced into 1\4 inch rounds
- 1 cup Kite Hill classic ricotta
- lasagna sheets from Cappellos
- 4 cups bolognese sauce (recipe above)
- To prepare bolognese sauce: Pour oil into cast iron pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and celery. Saute until onions are golden brown and carrots are softened. Add apple cider vinegar to the pot. Stir well. Add tomatoes and cook 10-15 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add salt and fennel seeds. Place all contents in blender with pine nuts. Blend on high until smooth. Add olive oil if needs.
- To prepare the lasagna: Heat oil in cast iron pot. Add onion and garlic. Allow to soften, then add zucchini and bell pepper. Add spinach and stir until wilted. Cool, then add basil.
- In 8 x8 pan, pour 1 cup of sauce into the bottom of the pan and spread evenly. Cover sauce with one layer of lasagna noodles. Top with a layer of ricotta. Spoon veggies mixture on top. Repeat for another 2-3 layers. When you reach the top layer, cover lasagna with tomato rounds. Sprinkle herbs de province on top. Bake for 40 minutes. Broil for final 5 minutes of baking.