Sep 09, 2020
Southwestern Sweet Potato Casserole
- 1 package Cappello's Lasagna
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, large diced
- 1/2 onion, large diced
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 jar mild or medium salsa
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add sweet potatoes, bell pepper and onion to a bowl. Top with oil, cumin, chili powder and salt. Toss to coat.
- Transfer to a lined baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- While the vegetables cool, remove the lasagna from the package and cut into thirds; these will be your pieces to layer between the ingredients.
- Begin the assembly process by spraying a 8x12 in pan with oil. Add 1/3 of the salsa to the bottom of the pan and spread into an even layer, then top with lasagna sheets.
- Top with 1/2 of the beans and 1/3 of the cheese then another layer of the lasagna sheets, being sure to press down to create compact layers.
- Top with 1/2 of the roasted sweet potato mixture, lasagna and another 1/3 of the salsa then another layer of the lasagna sheets.
- Repeat each layer once more ending with the vegetables and salsa on the top then sprinkle the remaining 1/3 of the cheese over the vegetables.
- Place pan in a 400 degree oven and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream or plain almond milk yogurt as a garnish.
Kids Can Do
- Measure out the spices for the veggies
- Spray the pan with oil
- Help build the layers