Apr 25, 2021
The Ultimate Grilled Cheese
- For the Grilled Cheese
- 1 Cappello’s Naked Crust
- ½ medium yellow onion, cut into ½- inch slices
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 2 ounces muenster, sliced
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar, sliced
2 ounces gruyere, sliced
- For the Tomato Soup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon (3 cloves) garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- ¼ cup half & half or heavy cream
- Make the tomato soup. Melt butter in a 2-quart saucepan placed on a stove set to medium heat. Add onions, garlic, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring constantly until onions are translucent, 3-5 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes and broth to the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let cook until soup thickens and reduces slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Transfer to a blender or use an immersion blender to process soup until smooth. Stir in half & half or heavy cream. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Place onions, 1 tablespoon butter, and salt in a 12-inch nonstick skillet placed over medium-low heat and cook, stirring frequently until the onions are golden and caramelized, 15-20 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.
- For assembly, cut the crust in half and spread the outsides with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Spread mustard on the base layer, followed by the caramelized onions. Layer cheeses over the onions, followed by the other half of the crust.
- Place the assembled sandwich on a hot panini press and cook until the cheese has melted and grill marks appear, about 5 minutes. Serve warm with tomato soup.
Kids Can Do
- Measure out the soup ingredients
- Help to layer the cheeses onto the crust